Elevate your online experience with OpenVPN Access Server—a powerhouse of robust security, cross-platform versatility, and firewall-busting capabilities. Whether you’re a casual surfer or a business with complex networking needs, OpenVPN has got you covered !
- Strong protection
- Perfect Forward Secrecy
- Ease of use
- Firewall compatibility
- Multi-platform support
- Expensive commercial versions
- Requires additional software
- Complex configuration
- Limited by Proxy servers
Unlock the full potential of OpenVPN Access Server with this comprehensive FAQ guide. Whether you’re a security-conscious individual or a business seeking a robust VPN solution, our guide dives deep into the features, advantages, and limitations of OpenVPN Access Server.
Get ready to make an informed decision that could redefine your online security and freedom. Say goodbye to cyber threats and hello to unrestricted, secure browsing !
Read further to learn more about OpenVPN, in our review we will detail its features, pros and cons with our rating, and a conclusion about why you should use it.
Click on “open” if you want to see exactly what we will talk about in the rest of this article.
What is OpenVPN?
OpenVPN is a multifaceted solution that serves as an open-source project, a tunneling protocol, and a commercial entity. At its core, it’s an open-source Virtual Private Network (VPN) that uses a custom security protocol leveraging SSL/TLS for secure internet connections.
Known for its robustness and flexibility, OpenVPN employs AES-256 encryption and is considered one of the most secure VPN tunneling protocols available.
It offers a range of features including support for various IP subnetworks, real-time adaptive link compression, and the ability to bypass most firewalls.
OpenVPN is suitable for both network administrators and end-users, providing a scalable and efficient solution for secure network connectivity.
|Certificate Management / External PKI Support / IP Protection / Malware Protection / Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) / Multi-Platform Support / Security and encryption / Split Tunneling / Static IP Address / TLS authentication protocol / User Authentication
|Best suited for
|Individuals, Freelancers, Small businesses
|Visit official website
|Pleasanton, CA 94588 United States
OpenVPN pricing: How much does OpenVPN cost?
Dive into OpenVPN Access Server’s straightforward pricing plans, designed to fit every need and budget. Whether you’re looking for a free solution or a customized enterprise package, OpenVPN has got you covered.
With pricing starting as low as $7 per connection per month, you’re sure to find a plan that aligns with your security and networking requirements !
|From $7 per month
|Money back guarantee
|Yes, 30 days
|Pricing page link
OpenVPN pricing plans
Free Plan :
- No time limit
- No credit card required
Standard Plan :
- $7.00 per connection per month
- Billed yearly at a total of $70 per month
Custom Plan :
- Tailored to your specific business needs
Additional features available across all Plans :
- Networking and Security
- Split Tunnel Configuration: Provide access only to specific internal resources via the VPN, leaving client Internet access untouched.
- Management Platform: Built-in web interface for configuration and organizational management.
- Flexible Licensing: Scale up or down at will; share licenses across multiple servers.
- Airgapped/Offline Installations: Deploy in a completely offline and isolated environment for internal security.
- High Availability: Achievable with both local LAN failover and clustering features.
- Load Balancing: Possible with clustering.
- Geo Smart Routing: Smart DNS routing to Access Server cluster nodes.
- DMZ Access: Make a VPN client service accessible to the public internet.
- Static Tunnel IP Address: Optional configuration.
- Custom DNS: Provide any DNS server(s) for your VPN users.
- Custom Access Rules: Define access for specific IP addresses and ports for users and groups.
- Hardware Address Checking: Implement MAC address or UUID checking for additional security.
- External PKI Support: Use your own PKI infrastructure instead of built-in certificate management.
- Certificate Management: Control over certificate lifetimes and automated CA renewals.
- Client Apps
- Official OpenVPN Clients: For Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux.
- Easy Installation: Preconfigured clients for Windows and macOS.
- Token Configuration: Single-use token for easy client configuration.
- Built-in Local Authentication: Complete user management from within the Access Server web interface.
- MFA: Built-in MFA can be enabled on top of other authentication systems.
- SAML: Supports major IdPs like Google, Azure, AWS, Okta, etc.
- LDAP and RADIUS: Easy integration with platforms offering LDAP and RADIUS authentication services.
- PAM: Allows various plugins for multiple authentication systems.
- Custom Authentication System: Python3 hook for a completely custom system.
- Third-Party Plugin Support: Duo Security offers a plugin for their MFA and authentication system.
- API and Logs
- Connection Logs: Exportable in CSV format.
- XML-RPC API: Complete remote control via XML-RPC and REST API.
OpenVPN features: What can you do with it?
OpenVPN Access Server is a comprehensive VPN solution designed to meet the diverse needs of modern businesses.
From robust user authentication to versatile tunneling options, the software offers a range of features aimed at enhancing security and improving network management.
OpenVPN offers a robust authentication system. The built-in system comes with web-based management, allowing for easy user setup and monitoring.
For organizations that already use external authentication systems, OpenVPN supports PAM, LDAP, RADIUS, and SAML. Additionally, if you need to implement specialized authentication logic, you can use Python for custom programming.
OpenVPN Inc. backs the software with professional support, available through an online ticket system. This ensures that any technical issues or challenges can be addressed promptly, providing peace of mind for businesses that rely on VPN for their operations.
OpenVPN Access Server is designed to work on multiple operating systems, making it highly versatile. Whether you’re using a Windows PC, a Mac, an iOS device, or an Android smartphone, you can easily connect to OpenVPN.
This feature is particularly useful for businesses with a diverse range of devices, as it eliminates the need for multiple VPN solutions.
OpenVPN uses its own protocol, which is based on the TLS (Transport Layer Security) authentication protocol. This is coupled with additional security measures like credentials and certificates.
An optional MAC address lock adds an extra layer of security by binding the VPN connection to a specific device.
The software automates the complex task of VPN certificate management. It not only generates and provisions certificates but also allows for the integration of an external Public Key Infrastructure (PKI).
This is beneficial for organizations that already have a PKI in place and want to maintain control over it.
Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA)
Security is further enhanced with multi-factor authentication options. The software comes with built-in MFA using Time-based One-Time Password (TOTP).
For those who require additional layers of security, third-party solutions like Duo Security and LastPass can be integrated through post-auth plugins.
This feature allows network administrators to fine-tune who gets access to what within the network.
Access control rules can be set based on user or group profiles, specifying which IP addresses and subnets they can access. This is crucial for segmenting network access based on organizational roles or security levels.
OpenVPN provides two types of tunneling: full-tunnel and split-tunnel. In full-tunnel mode, all of the client’s internet traffic is routed through the VPN, providing complete security but potentially slowing down the connection.
Split-tunnel mode allows only specific traffic to pass through the VPN tunnel, offering a balance between security and performance.
OpenVPN review: Why you should use it?
OpenVPN Access Server offers a secure, reliable, and versatile VPN solution that excels in various aspects such as cross-platform compatibility, robust security protocols, and user-friendly authentication options.
Its open-source nature and extensive feature set make it a top choice for both individual users and businesses looking for a comprehensive VPN solution.
The software’s ability to work seamlessly across firewalls and its support for Perfect Forward Secrecy further enhance its security credentials.
- Robust Security: OpenVPN uses 256-bit encryption keys and high-end ciphers, providing strong protection against various types of cyberattacks, including man-in-the-middle attacks.
- Cross-Platform Support: The software is compatible with a wide range of operating systems, including Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, and Android, making it highly versatile.
- Firewall Compatibility: OpenVPN can use any port on TCP or UDP, allowing it to bypass most network firewall-based blocks effectively.
- Ease of Use: Users have praised the software for its stability and ease of use, particularly the variety of countries it allows you to connect to.
- Perfect Forward Secrecy: This feature enhances data security by generating a new encryption key for each session, making it difficult for attackers to decode the data.
- Complex Configuration: Setting up OpenVPN can be challenging, especially for beginners, due to its numerous options and the level of expertise required for manual configuration.
- Requires Additional Software: OpenVPN is not built into any particular platform, requiring a separate client program for tunneling and decryption.
- Limited by Proxy Servers: Some users have reported that OpenVPN is blocked by a few proxy servers, limiting its utility in certain scenarios.
- High Price for Commercial Versions: While the software itself is free for end-users, the commercial versions can be expensive, and the number of concurrent VPN users is limited by the license.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is OpenVPN Access Server secure ?
Yes, OpenVPN Access Server uses 256-bit encryption keys and high-end ciphers to provide robust security. It also supports Perfect Forward Secrecy, which generates a new encryption key for each session.
Does OpenVPN Access Server work on all operating systems ?
OpenVPN Access Server is compatible with a wide range of operating systems, including Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, and Android.
How does OpenVPN Access Server handle firewalls ?
OpenVPN can use any port on TCP or UDP, making it highly effective at bypassing network firewall-based blocks.
How do I set up OpenVPN Access Server ?
Setting up OpenVPN Access Server can be complex due to its numerous options. It’s advisable to consult the official documentation or seek professional help for setup.
Can OpenVPN Access Server be blocked by Proxy Servers ?
Yes, some users have reported that OpenVPN is blocked by a few proxy servers, which may limit its utility in certain scenarios.